The Future of PARPG – and whether it has one or not

Hello,

There are some questions what to do with PARPG in its current state.

The biggest problems are in my opinion:

- a lack of general recruiting. Two weeks project report and asking for contributors was a very good way to recruit fresh blood.

- lack of active coders (compared to i.e. ~2 years ago). I think right now only Beliar is making additions to the code somewhat regularly.

- lack of time by people in general, in some areas at least, combined with a lack of motivation to increase the time commitment. For instance, when barra had more time available, he did regular reports every ~2 weeks and asked for recruitment. This worked nicely back then, people helped out a lot more, but there just does not seem anyone able to replace barra.

So the question is, what to do with PARPG?

There will surely be many opinions. I’ll give you my own one first:

- I think we should make one final release, as soon as possible, and then declare this to be the “how far we managed to go before we failed”.  I’d even like to propose a deadline, last day of March 2012.

We should then zip up the project and distribute it to people who want to keep it for nostalgic reasons :D Perhaps someone is able to revitalize the project again? Or, it’s just memory of a project.

Of course it may be possible to push the game forward still. But I myself would not know how, at the current state.

If the project is discontinued, perhaps someone else will resume at the point where we left? And even if not, we worked on a game project for quite some time, met new people, which is never a bad thing!

Barra has said that he will pay for the hosting in 2012, but I think if we can’t find a way to revitalize the project before end of 2012 anyway, it could be closed much earlier.

Any ideas, feedback, to the forum please.

Edit 17 Februar 2012: There will probably a meeting in the next 2 weeks, probably at the weekend (one?), to discuss things. Have a look at the forum and give your opinion please.

1. #1 by anon - February 17th, 2012 at 01:06

Does this mean that FIFE is dead too? Anyway, sorry to see this project shut down.

2. #2 by Beliar - February 17th, 2012 at 09:54

@anon
    No, FIFE is independent of PARPG.

3. #3 by Atype - February 17th, 2012 at 10:06

>Does this mean that FIFE is dead too?
    No. There is Unknown Horizons.

4. #4 by Q__x - February 17th, 2012 at 12:54

5. #5 by alexander - February 27th, 2012 at 19:01

Will it be possible for me to get wiki backup? I liked this project and would like to save on my hdd the wiki you generated.

6. #6 by grinder - April 3rd, 2012 at 08:43

I kinda hate myself for not helping you guys :C
    i had love to see this project success

7. #7 by mvbarracuda - April 3rd, 2012 at 08:51

We’ll definately consider to offer a wiki mysql and filesystem dump. This said, there are some concerns about passwords, email addresses and other sensitive data that’s part of this mysql dump. We might reset passwords and invalidate mail addresses for the dump to prevent abuse (password decrypting, mail spam abuse).

8. #8 by Zimble - April 3rd, 2012 at 21:01

Now this is very sad news.
    Lurked the forums for 3 years, even contributed some stuff and always hoped that you pull this of somehow.
    And now all your work’s going down the drain and all the great people forever spread over the internet :(

I really wish I could have helped you guys. But Zimble, python and FIFE don’t mix very well.
    Maybe someday someone will revive the project. Maybe on another engine with a broader audience and more contributors. And all the people will come together again and parpg will rise from the ashes.

I wish all of you the best luck.
    Farewell.

And now, where did I put this damn forum login…

9. #9 by Top 100 Arena - May 21st, 2012 at 19:15

This is sad, I hate it when game projects go down. I hope that you are able to pick it back up again in the future.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

1. No trackbacks yet.